Image Map

May 8, 2015

Flower + Stripe Coasters

I had a ton of posts to share for Mother's Day but as usual...family life has caught up with me. I have so many ideas that I jot down in the notes section of my phone that never see the light of day.  But this is one that made the cut.  I wanted ideas for Mother's day that could be done last minute. And I get to combine my love of stripes and flowers. Win-win.


These are made with some coasters I have held onto for a rainy day. I wanted a clustered flower look (I threw some birds in there too.  It felt like the springy thing to do.) and I decided to use some amazing graphics I bought off the amazing etsy shop The Ink Nest. Obviously, these are for personal use only and I would recommend everything in her shop. Check out Sabina's complete site here. But here are some other graphics and clip art I have found that are free like this gorgeous watercolor clipart, or these awesome vintage cameras from Angie Makes.  Look around her beautiful site...such a wealth of gorgeousness and so many options for flowers!
Materials you need are some coasters or tiles, scrapbook paper, scissors, images you want to decoupage, brush and modge podge.
Quick Steps:
1. Trace your coaster on the wrong side/back of some scrapbook paper and cut out. 
2. Brush your glue on the coaster and place striped paper down on the coaster.  Using a bone folder or credit card, smooth out your bumps.
3. Pre-arrange your flowers and birds in a layering fashion to ensure placement.
4.  Glue flowers/birds and when dry seal them with another coat of mod podge on top.
I admit that all the layering feels weird for me.  I did some mini hyperventilating convinced that I was going to ruin it.  But then I realize I wanted to just blast the things with lots of color and flowery goodness so I went crazy and did whatever felt right.  It was cathartic. 
I loved how they turned out.
I even played around and made a cute mother's day tag with the same graphics. 
I love me some matchy matchy.

A great last minute Mother's Day gift. 
Run to the craft store, grab what you need, find some great printables and have fun with it.
Until next time sweet friends. :)

4 comments:

  1. awe these are super cute! a perfect mothers day gift :)
    https://tarinobambino.squarespace.com/tarinobambinoblogs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have got to make some of these. They are adorable! Like you, I would be wary of all the layering, fearing I would mess it up. But these sure came out cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a lot of fun to make and so easy. Thanks for your sweet note.

      Delete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!